27.6.12

TIME MACHINE

*originally posted on Volcomunity


My dad has always had a way of turning "junk" into something insanely awesome. He is a collector of such "junk" and hopes that he'll revive/repurpose each and every object with time. (I actually set up my jewelry studio space amongst said junk, which makes me feel right at home when my studio gets over-cluttered.)  So when he was invited to contribute to the Shelburne Museum's show titled "Time Machines: Robots, Rockets and Steam Punk" he immediately started brainstorming.

The best part is, he already had all of this amazing stuff just waiting to be put to use! 

Steve Conant: "After being invited to participate in the Steam Punk Show I poked around the shop looking for props.  A 100 lb copper tank fits the bill.  And I just happened to have a cast iron 3-wheeled dolly that fits it perfectly! After cutting doors our of the side wall I'm thinking; curio cabinet? Stereo closet? And then, wahoo, it hits me - a "time machine"! I add a leather seat, 19th century clock works, an electronic metronome (circa 1950), a strobe light, a motion switch to activate it all (behind the foot rail) an electric reostat on a scissor bracket (gas peddle), a period Edison style carbon filament bulb, a big knife switch, headphones, yellow goggles, a bunch of old gages, some brass grillwork, a heater coil, a coffin grab bar, sousaphone bell. . . and top it off with a 1930s surgical aspiration machine.  What fun! And it actually transported me back to the creative, fun loving days of my youth!"

     impressed much?? 






3 Comments:

Blogger alden said...

Always impressed. VERY much.

June 27, 2012 at 10:48 AM  
Anonymous Cat said...

Wow, that's really cool! I can see where you get some of your amazing creativity.

June 28, 2012 at 12:40 PM  
Blogger Mackenzie said...

you lucky duck havin that dad! so awesome.

June 29, 2012 at 10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home